New way to file GST returns online
3 September 2012
Just launched – an even better way to file GST returns through an Inland Revenue secure online services account.
Inland Revenue has recently launched a new online GST return filing service for GST registered customers.
Like other organisations, Inland Revenue is now offering more services in a secure environment, which helps to reduce the use of paper. One of the new services is an even better way to file GST returns online.
Customers will need a myIR secure online services account to file GST returns online. This secure new way to file GST returns online will replace the current non-personalised online GST return filing form which is being phased out.
- The return will be prepopulated with customer’s personal information and tailored to their circumstances (e.g. a GST and Provisional Tax return will be displayed when this is relevant). They’ll only be asked to complete sections relevant to their situation.
- The secure online system will do all the calculations.
- Customers can save what they’ve done then get back to it later.
- Get instant confirmation the return has been received and filed with time, date and receipt number. It can also be saved and/or printed for future reference.
- Track the status of the returns – due to be filed, saved, being processed, or completed.
- The document lodgement number (DLN) is not needed to be able to file the return.
- A copy of the return can be saved for customers’ records.
- Over time, electronic records of the GST returns will be all in one place.
- Once the first GST return is filed through myIR, each time the GST return is due for filing Inland Revenue will advise customers when the return will be available in their online services account for filing.
Filing GST returns is just one of the things customers can easily do through myIR
- If customers are an employer they can also use the same myIR account to file Employee Monthly Schedules (EMS) - through ir-file. This means customers will have access to the electronic EMS and GST calculations and records in one convenient place.
- Customers can even delegate someone else to complete their GST returns on their behalf.
To find out more, or to register or log in to myIR go to ird.govt.nz/gstreturns and make filing GST returns online even more straightforward.