External Legal Services
The All-of-Government (AoG) External Legal Services (ELS) contract offers highly-competitive rates from a panel of 40 providers (plus Crown Law) committed to delivering quality legal services. Since it was established, the contract has delivered an average saving of 18% per agency and has achieved a high level of customer and provider satisfaction.
The panel contracts commenced in December 2011 for an initial term of two years and were renewed in December 2013 for another two year term. THe contracts are subject to one further right of renewal for two years (i.e. 2+2+2 years). This initiative is part of the Government's Procurement Reform Programme.
The AoG External Legal Services contract is run by Government Procurement’s Legal Centre of Expertise (CoE) email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Features and benefits
- Panel of providers
- Agency participation
- Buyer's Guide and signing up
- Contact us
All External Legal Services, excluding:
- Barristers Sole and Queen’s Counsel
- Core Crown legal matters
- Patent Attorneys
- Overseas firms
On a day-to-day basis using the contract will feel a lot like business-as-usual for agencies. You’ll still:
- have access to a comprehensive range of top New Zealand providers, the panel includes a range of small, medium and large legal providers across seven key areas of law;
- have complete freedom to choose the individual providers you want to use;
- deal directly with providers by instructing legal panel services.
Benefits and features of the contract include:
- you’re spared the time and cost of running your own procurement process;
- we manage all panel contracts with providers;
- competitive rates and hourly rate comparisons;
- access to consolidated reporting on your agency’s external legal services spend;
- access to many free value-added services from your chosen provider;
- client satisfaction taken into account when selecting the panel;
- freedom to procure legal services in any area of law from any panel provider;
- flexibility to use a non-panel provider if the panel’s offering does not meet your needs;
- provision of key information about each provider;
- all panel providers meet the minimum requirements of the New Zealand Law Society code of conduct; and
- Crown Law remains a provider of legal services and sits alongside the panel.
The 40 panel providers are promoted in certain areas of law below but can provide legal advice in any area of law:
Banking and Finance
Corporate and Commercial
Environmental and Resource Management
Since it was established, 121 agencies have signed up to the AoG ELS contract. This includes a cross section of government departments, State Owned Enterprises, universities and local councils.
This guide provides agencies with an overview of:
- Key benefits of buying off this contract;
- How agencies can transition to the contract;
- What you can buy off the contract, and how; and
- Roles and responsibilities: buyers, providers and the Centre of Expertise.
Download a copy of the External Legal Services Buyers' Guide [642 KB PDF]
The Legal Services Order
The Legal Services Order is used by agencies to brief legal work out to providers. More information concerning the Legal Services Order can be found in the Buyer's Guide.
- Download a copy of the Legal Services Order [191 KB DOC]
- Download a copy of the abbreviated Email Legal Services Order [17 KB DOC]
For more information please contact the AoG Centre of Expertise for Legal Services: ELS@mbie.govt.nz