The Government expects its departments, and encourages other public sector agencies, to be guided in their procurement by the following principles:
- best value for money over whole of life;
- open and effective competition;
- full and fair opportunity for domestic suppliers;
- improving business capabilities, including e-commerce capability;
- recognition of New Zealand's international trade obligations and interests; and
- requiring sustainably produced goods and services wherever possible, having regard to economic, environmental and social impacts over their life cycle.
More information on the Government procurement policy can be found in the Government Procurement in New Zealand: Policy Guide for Purchasers - August 2007 [133 kB PDF].