What are Modern Apprenticeships?
Modern Apprenticeships are run by the Tertiary Education Commission to help young people aged 16–21 find employment and start a career with on-the-job training.
With the help of Modern Apprenticeship Co-ordinators, who meet with them every week, Modern Apprentices work towards National Certificate Level 3 or 4 qualifications while gaining practical experience in your workplace as a paid employee.
On this page:
- Is a Modern Apprenticeship right for my business?
- Help me get started with a Modern Apprentice
- Employer’s FAQ
A Modern Apprenticeship will benefit your business by:
- increasing employee knowledge and expertise
- getting employees closer to being fully qualified
- developing a training culture in the workplace
- helping young people choose your industry as a career.
A Modern Apprenticeships Co-ordinator can help you to:
- find a Modern Apprentice
- develop a suitable training plan
- liaise with your Industry Training Organisation to register the training agreement you both make
- review your Modern Apprentice’s progress.
What if my industry isn’t covered by an Industry Training Organisation?
Call the Tertiary Education Commission’s Service Centre on 0800 601 301 to find out about other training options that might suit your business.
What is a Co-ordinator?
A Co-ordinator is a local person who will help you find an apprentice and give advice and support along the way.
Find a Co-ordinator using the Modern Apprentices website.
How do I make a current employee a Modern Apprentice?
Get in touch with a local Modern Apprenticeship Co-ordinator in your industry. They will help you get started.
What if my industry isn’t covered by Modern Apprenticeships?
Talk to your Industry Training Organisation about industry training options. Your employees will be able to do industry training towards a level 3 and/or 4 National Certificate.
Ask your Industry Training Organisation if it has considered applying for your industry to join the Modern Apprenticeships programme.
Is there a limit to how many Modern Apprentices I can take on?
Your Industry Training Organisation and Modern Apprenticeships Co-ordinator will advise you about how many Modern Apprentices your business has the capacity to train.
What support will I get?
Modern Apprenticeship Co-ordinators offer you free support with:
- selection and recruitment
- training plans
- problems or issues that may arise.
How many types of Modern Apprenticeships are there?
Thirty-two industries are involved in the Modern Apprenticeships scheme.
If you still have questions email email@example.com.