In association with

Government help with training

Government help with training

If you want to support or train your staff, the government is here to help.

From support for work-integrated learning to courses in basic English and maths, take advantage of these offerings to help you upskill your workforce and develop your business.

New Zealand’s vocational education system supports the fast-changing future of skills, learning and work. It’s designed to provide for the needs of all learners, be relevant to the changing needs of employers, and be collaborative, innovative and sustainable for all regions of New Zealand.

To provide feedback on what skills your industry needs get in touch with your work development council.

Find my council(external link) — Ohu Ahumahi Workforce Development Councils

For opportunities to develop the skills and capability of your staff visit Te Pūkenga.

Employers(external link) — Te Pūkenga

Search for suitable courses and qualifications on the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) website.

Qualifications search(external link) — NZQA

Study and training options(external link) — Careers New Zealand

Funding for non-domestic migrant learners in work-based learning

The exemptions scheme is designed with the objective of achieving a higher skilled migrant workforce, with the right skill mix to support New Zealand’s economy.

The list of vocational qualifications, programmes and micro-credentials that are eligible for subsidies for non-domestic learners can be found below.

Funding for non-domestic learners(external link)  — Tertiary Education Commission

The targeted exemption process only applies to the work-based and assessment and verification modes of delivery. Work-based learning refers to programmes where a learner is training in a workplace, or doing ‘on the job’ learning.

Eligibility criteria and Fees Free cover(external link) — Tertiary Education Commission

Work and Income support

Work and Income offer financial assistance to help new employees develop the skills to do their job.

If you’re about to employ someone currently on a benefit who needs workplace training, Work and Income might be able to:

  • cover part of their wage for up to a year while they learn, and
  • subsidise the cost of their training (depending on what it is).

To qualify:

  • the position has to be permanent, and for at least 30 hours work a week (although you may still qualify for the subsidy if the position is part-time)
  • you must pay market wages for the job, and
  • you must not have dismissed anyone else to employ the person.

If you qualify, you’ll:

  • pay their wages just like you normally would, and keep wage records in case Work and Income needs to refer to them
  • send Work and Income a completed claim form and wage records
  • get the subsidy direct credited into your business bank account
  • need to cover the balance of the employee’s wages, PAYE, GST, ACC levies and holiday pay, as well as health and safety requirements.

Advice for employers(external link) — Work and Income

0800 778 008 — Work and Income employer line 

Help with basic numeracy and literacy

Around half New Zealand’s working-age population struggle with mathematics, and many struggle with reading. This can affect productivity and the health and safety of the workforce. Skills Highway is an online government resource that helps businesses improve their staff’s skills in reading, maths, and communication.

Skills Highway can help by either:

  • providing tools and resources to help you develop your own, in-house training scheme, or
  • putting you in touch with a training provider.

Skills Highway(external link)

Literacy and numeracy pie charts

Rating form

How helpful was this information?

Rate this

"Rate this" is required