How some R&D companies can gain from tax losses

If you're a company doing research and development (R&D) work — and operating at a tax loss — you might be entitled to some cash. That's thanks to Government's new R&D loss tax credit. 

Under the old rules, tax losses had to be carried forward and deducted against a business’ future taxable income. Now, companies that qualify will have the option to cash out (claim and be refunded) some or all of their tax losses – up to $500,000 annually.

This credit will help businesses to continue investing in R&D and successfully get their innovations to market.

To figure out if your company is eligible and to apply, visit Inland Revenue’s page on Eligible companies for the R&D loss tax credit(external link).

The new rules apply to income years beginning on or after 1 April 2015.

Your business may also be eligible for Callaghan Innovation's R&D grants(external link) for:

  • starting out
  • projects
  • growth.
Rating form

How helpful was this article?

Rate this

"Rate this" is required